Monday 23 June 2008

Another pilgrimage





I mentioned my visit, a few weeks ago, to Agatha Christie’s grave in Cholsey. While in Grasmere to call at Sam Read’s bookshop, I took the opportunity to wander around the village for a few minutes, soaking up the atmosphere. Needless to say, I have the backdrop of a future Lakes book in mind. The little churchyard is charming, and the group of Wordsworth graves simple yet somehow impressive in their plainness.

I stopped for a moment at, but didn’t have time to go round, Dove Cottage, which I last visited as a schoolboy. However, a tour is high on my list of priorities this summer, given that it was home not only to the Wordsworths, but also to Thomas de Quincey, who features in the next Lake District Mystery (progress on which is currently rather slow, I fear.)

Grasmere is a fascinating place. I barely knew it until 1992, when Regniald Hill organised a weekend symposium for members of the northern chapter of the Crime Writers Association, which was held at hotel on the edge of the village. One of the things I remember from a great weekend was Peter Walker telling us that his ‘Constable’ books were going to be adapted for television in a new series called ‘Heartbeat’. We were all thrilled for him, but I don’t think any of us realised at the time that, sixteen years on, the show would have become a national institution.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The lake is so beautiful. And so forgiving to walk round (ie small, flat and lovely views).
It looks as if you had uncharacteristically marvellous weather on the day you took these photos.

By the way, did you see that Euro Crime reviewed Waterloo Sunset yesterday (Sunday)? The review is by Laura Root, who lives in Liverpool.

Martin Edwards said...

It is a lovely place, and I must admit that easy walks are my favourite kind!
I don't know Laura personally, but I'm delighted by her kind review of Waterloo Sunset. I've been really pleased by the feedback for the book.