Monday 28 March 2011

Blood Work


Blood Work is a 2002 movie starring and directed by Clint Eastwood. I’ve just watched it and really enjoyed it – definitely a cut above the typical serial killer thriller. This is partly because Eastwood is a class act, and partly because the story comes from a novel by the excellent Michael Connelly.

Eastwood plays Terry McCaleb, an FBI profiler who is taunted by a serial killer. Chasing the culprit, he suffers a heart attack, and needs a transplant. He retires to live on a boat, but then the sister of the woman who donated her heart to him comes looking for help. The donor was murdered – but by whom?

The crime seems to be linked to another killing, and Eastwood finds out what really connects the murders, ultimately discovering that the trail leads back – to himself. Along the way, he and the sister (the glamorous Wanda de Jesus) start a relationship. The finale is exciting and very well done.

I thought this film was very entertaining, and didn’t need to resort to too much gore to be gripping. There’s a rather nice cipher clue, and the photography is at times evocative, especially during Eastwood’s confrontation with the killer. Recommended.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Martin - Thanks for this review. The book really was quite good (although I confess I hadn't thought of Eastwood in the McAleb role, but no matter). I'm glad you enjoyed the movie as much as you did. And I agree with you: Clint Eastwood is a fine actor.

Graham Powell said...

In one of Connolly's Harry Bosch novels, which takes place after the film was released and features an appearance by Eastwood's character Terry McCaleb, the "killer" complains to Bosch that Hollywood changed the ending, and that's not how it happened at all!

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Thanks for the review, Martin. This is another film I haven't seen (I don't get out to movies much), so I'll have to look for it...I always enjoy Eastwood.

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Amazon just sent me a notification on The Hanging Wood. Congratulations! I look forward to reading it!

Alistair Macfarlane said...

The book was much better and it had a totally different ending than the movie. Connelly was quite upset, and made fun of it, in, I think, A Darkness More Than Night.
I think that The Lincoln Lawyer is a amazing book and hope that the movie stays true to the story.
As much as I like Michael Connelly, I feel like he's been 'mailing it in' in the last few books. Maybe time to take some time off and come up with something different.
Still itching to start 'The Hanging Wood'..... but I'll wait.

Martin Edwards said...

Thanks to all of you.
Graham, welcome!
Elizabeth, I don't get out much to films either - thank goodness for satTV movies!
Pamela - hope you enjoy it!
Aliztair, I haven't read The Lincoln Lawyer as yet, but it sounds pretty good