Wednesday 6 April 2011

The CWA Conference and a Red Herring





Last weekend I was away for one of the main events of the year, the CWA annual conference, which was held in Darlington, a town I've never visited before. As usual, it was a real delight to see old friends, as well as to meet a number of pleasant people for the first time.

There were a number of excellent talks, including one from a very entertaining detective who led the hunt for John Darwin, better known as "the canoe man", as well as interesting insights into the government proposed reforms of the police, and a talk about forensic anthropology. Inevitably, though, the absolute highlight was a trip to the Forensic Services Department at Teeside University. One of the speakers was Ian Pepper, whom I have mentioned before on this blog; he and his wife Helen have given me a good deal of help with my research over the years, most recently for The Hanging Wood.

At the gala dinner on Saturday evening, I was invited onto the top table with last year's Chair, Tom Harper, who has worked very effectively to strengthen the CWA's profile, and the newly appointed Chair, the bestselling writer Peter James. What I was not expecting was the moment when Tom announced the giving of an award to someone – let alone that the recipient would turn out to be me…

In fact, this is the Red Herring award for services to the CWA. When I got back home, I did a bit of research and discovered that previous recipients over the past 50-odd years have included the likes of Julian Symons, Gladys Mitchell and Fredrick Dannay (better known as one half of Ellery Queen). Suffice to say that I was both honoured and touched by this recognition. I have made many wonderful friends through the CWA over the past 20 years or so, and I certainly owe them a great deal.

17 comments:

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Congratulations on your Red Herring award! It sounds like the CWA conference was fun as well as being informative.

Sarah Hilary said...

What a great award to receive, Martin, and very well-deserved; a lot of the most interesting facts and features of the CWA I learnt first from your blog. Congratulations!

Christine said...

Congratulations, Martin. It couldn't be better deserved!

Anonymous said...

Martin - Congratulations on your well-deserved award! I'm so glad that you had a good time at the CWA, too. Thanks for sharing :-).

Dorte H said...

The Red Herring award! Congratulations, and what an apt name. I have loved red herrings ever since I found out what it meant in Sayers´ The Five Red Herrings.

I even remember the first time I used it. In a university essay about environment I wrote something about protecting animals of the sea "be it blule whales or red herrings". I got very good marks, but if that was because of my red herrings I don´t know ;)

Jose Ignacio Escribano said...

Congratulations Martin.

Fiona said...

Congratulations Martin! You are certainly in august company, and deservedly so.

Uriah Robinson said...

Congratulations, Martin, a well deserved award.

Len Tyler said...

Many congratulations on your award, Martin. Distinguished company to be in and well-deserved.

Martin Edwards said...

Many thanks - much appreciated! I'm now off for a few days, not least to celebrate!

Kerrie said...

Well done Martin. Excellent. Couldn't go to a better person.

aguja said...

Many Congratulations! I recall past outings to theatre venues in Darlington. A great place in which to receive an award.

Toyin O. said...

Congrats on your award!!!

lyn said...

Congratulations on the Red Herring, very well deserved.

Paul Beech said...

So pleased about your Red Herring award, Martin – congratulations!

Perhaps there should be an award for introducing readers to great crime writers who are not so well known as they deserve to be. Following your post on ‘Frozen Charlotte’ last month, I’ve been reading Priscilla Masters’ previous Martha Gunn novel ‘Slipknot’ and must declare myself hooked. The widowed Shrewsbury coroner is a most engaging protagonist and the character-driven story is all too convincing with its very real theme of school bullying and what it may lead to. A griping and thought-provoking read. I shall be on the lookout for Priscilla’s other books now. And the proposed award would definitely yield another trophy for your shelf!

Hope you’ve enjoyed your few days off. I’ve just had a break myself, up in Cumbria, visiting my dad at the care home for his 88th birthday. It’s a great feeling, I always find, driving over Shap. No doubt Daniel Kind, Hannah Scarlett and their creator will know exactly what I mean!

Regards, Paul

Sue said...

So pleased to read that you won this award. You are always so graceful in your praise when other people receive recognition or success. I am sure every reader of this blog is delighted on your behalf.

Sue

Martin Edwards said...

Thank you all - I do appreciate your kind comments.
Paul, I know what you mean about the drive north....