Wednesday 6 March 2019

Forthcoming Crime Classics


The British Library has just issued its catalogue of publications for the second half of this year, and there are many good things in store. And of course that includes the forthcoming Crime Classics. Among notable features of the list is another novel written by E.C.R. Lorac, whose work has proved extremely popular with fans. This is Fell Murder, set in Lunesdale, where she made her home. It is a lovely part of the world, and this is a book with an exceptionally strong sense of place, and a sense of the intimacy of the rural community.

I'm especially thrilled that the series will, for the first time, include a novel by John Dickson Carr. This is It Walks By Night, which was his very first novel, set in Paris and featuring his first major series detective, Henri Bencolin. I've been hoping for some years that it would be possible to include Carr in the series, but it has proved tricky, because the rights position is extremely complicated. But the Library team has done great work in finally overcoming the obstacles and achieving success. Although Carr was American, his work seems to make a very natural fit with the series; he was an Anglophile who lived in England for many years and was Secretary of the Detection Club and a gifted practitioner of the "fair play" whodunit. This book also includes a Bencolin short story.

Anne Meredith's Portrait of a Murderer was a very successful book the Christmas before last, and Lucy Malleson who wrote under the Meredith name returns to the series with a book written under her best-known pen-name, Anthony Gilbert. This is Death in Fancy Dress, a country house mystery very much in the classic tradition. The book will also include a couple of Gilbert short stories.

Talking of short stories, there will be another anthology, The Measure of Malice, which is a collection of tales of scientific detection that I've put together. I'm delighted that the British Library anthologies have done so well in terms of sales and reviews, and I can also commend their "weird tales" collections, some more of which will be forthcoming (I like the sound of a collection of "killer tales of the botanical Gothic"!)

Other crime titles include another novel by George Bellairs, who is back by popular demand, Mary Kelly's The Christmas Egg, and a second Pocket Detective puzzle book by Kate Jackson. Something for everyone, in other words! And I can assure you that plans for 2020 are already making good progress. At least one more Carr title is on the way... 

3 comments:

Sergio (Tipping My Fedora) said...

Especially excited by the Carr of course - great news!

Sven W. Pehla said...

Sounds absolutely great!

Raymond West said...

Dear Martin, I'm so thrilled to hear about these new books. I've bought "Portrait of a Murderer" last month for my birthday, and I'm going to read it soon because it intrigues me a lot, so I could not be happier to learn that other books by Lucy Beatrice Malleson will be published. E.C.R. Lorac is on my TBR list (recently I've found a very old copy of her "Murder in the Mill-Race" published by Mondadori, in Italy, in 1957) and also Carr's book; I've read it some years ago, but I think that my edition of "It Walks By night" is cut, so probably I'll buy that of BLCC.

P.S. You're doing a wonderful job, keep it up :)
Raymond