Monday 21 August 2023

Still Writing Under My Own Name - marking the 3 million milestone


A while ago, I've only just discovered, this blog passed 3 million pageviews and is now at around 3.2 million. So it's only right that I should express my gratitude to everyone who has taken the trouble to read these posts, with particular thanks to those many people who have got in touch with me over the years as a result of the blog, and who - I'm delighted to say - continue to do so.

The blog sprang into life on Saturday 13 October 2007 - nearly sixteen year ago, yikes! - only a few weeks after the above photo was taken at the 20th anniversary celebrations of the northern chapter of the CWA. I said back then that my aim was 'to share my enthusiasm for crime fiction and the craft of writing'. More than 3,500 posts later (blimey...) that certainly remains the case and you can rest assured that even if my hair is greyer now, my enthusiasm remains absolutely undimmed.

When I started the blog, I'd been a published novelist for sixteen years, and had just completed the eighth Harry Devlin novel, Waterloo Sunset. But although I'd mustered a couple of nominations, I hadn't won a single award. I was still a full-time partner in a law firm, and I was a member of the CWA but with no ambitions to join the committee, never mind become its Chair. I hadn't been elected to the Detection Club let alone to its Presidency. 

To say that a lot has happened since 2007 is an under-statement. Lots of books, translations into numerous languages, even more short stories and anthologies, an audio drama (more news about that soon), and writing-related trips around the world, as well as three series of lectures on the Queen Mary. Sixteen awards and membership of the CWA's Hall of Fame. And I've met so many truly wonderful people in that time. To confess that I find it almost impossible to believe is no less than the truth. If you'd told me back in October 2007 that all this would happen, I would probably have fainted with shock. Of course, there have been some tough times as well, because that's life, but I do feel very happy with the way my writing career has gone, and this blog has definitely played a very positive part in it.   


8 comments:

Carol Pouliot said...

3 million!!! Huge congratulations, Martin, That's an amazing accomplishment.

Todd Mason said...

Further congratulations! Your blog is a consistent source of sagacity and inspiration...much as is your other literary work.

Martin Edwards said...

Carol, Todd, many thanks!

Jose Ignacio Escribano said...

Well done, Martin

Janet Rudolph said...

Congratulations! Cause to celebrate! You are amazing!

Anonymous said...

Such a wonderful learning corner is your blog, Martin! Apparently I am not the only one who thinks so!! See you at Bouchercon

Susan Courtright said...

Sorry, that comment wasn't anonymous - it was me!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful!!! Congratulations!!!!!