Wednesday 10 January 2024

Changing Direction - guest blog by Simon Dinsdale


Simon Dinsdale is a retired murder detective - and a very successful one - who has turned to writing crime fiction. His first novel, Dark Shadow, is out now, and his journey from one career to another makes an interesting story, in my opinion. So I invited him to contribute a guest blog post about that journey. Here it is, and because Simon is a good storyteller, it has a great last line!

'In April 2010, I retired from Essex police. I enjoyed my twenty-seven years as a detective and had risen to senior rank. During that time, I encountered and investigated the very worst humanity is capable of and saw things no one should see or suffer. All this experience has given me a fund of stories to tell, and not all of them tall.

 My retirement plan was straightforward. To fulfil a long-held ambition and write the book I had been itching to start but never had the time for.

I set myself two objectives. To sign a publishing contract and be accepted into the Crime Writers Association. With an OU creative writing course under my belt and a fully formed character and plot ready to go, what could stop me?

My knowledge of police procedure, forensics and how to investigate a murder inspires my writing, although there is, of course, a healthy dollop of poetic licence.

I soon discovered things weren’t as rounded as I thought. Early drafts were greeted by readers with an embarrassed smile and advice to not write it like a police report. First submissions to literary agent slush piles were rejected at lightning speed.  

As time went on, self-doubt crept in, and I occasionally considered giving up. But I am passionate about my stories and enjoy the process, so I persevered. But continued rejection takes its toll.

Then COVID hit, the dreaded lockdown followed, and my luck changed. Through a mutual contact Martin Edwards and I formed a double act as we delivered a series of lectures together on Zoom. Martin enthralled the audience with his encyclopaedic knowledge of crime fiction, and I followed with my experience of real murder investigations. When he discovered I was an aspiring crime writer Martin was full of interest. He gave me sage advice, practical assistance and gently encouraged me to not give up and self-publish. 

I took his advice, persevered, and signed that elusive publishing contract with Sharpe Books last year. My first book, Dark Shadow has now been released. It follows the adventures of Christian Dane, a Senior Investigating Officer, as he hunts down the ruthless killer of five men. Along the way, he encounters trials, tribulations and finds a soulmate as his past threatens to destroy him.

 It has been a long journey, but I have achieved my objective. The feelings I experienced when holding a paperback book with my name on the cover for the first time are difficult to describe.

The CWA has accepted my application to join as a full member, and more adventures of Christian Dane are on the way. So, I can say, with some pride, the first mission is accomplished. Although snaring a publishing contract is harder than catching a serial killer, believe me.'

  

1 comment:

Elizabeth Crowens said...

Martin was right about your last line.