Wednesday 3 April 2024

News about The Life of Crime and The Golden Age of Murder


I'm delighted to bring exciting news. Well, exciting to me, anyway! I'm happy to announce not one but two new editions of my most successful non-fiction books, both published by HarperCollins. First, I'm glad to say that the paperback edition of The Life of Crime, due to appear in May, has been expanded very significantly (not that it was a slim volume to begin with). The paperback is about 7000 words longer than the hardback, with the result that more than 200 additional authors and works have been included. 

A book as wide-ranging as The Life of Crime ,which covers the whole history of crime fiction across the globe, can never cover every single author of note, of course, but I've always been keen that it should be as representative as possible. So I'm hugely grateful to my editor David Brawn for agreeing to the update as well as for his splendid work on updating the indexes (a big task, believe me). 

You may wonder why I've undertaken this extra work. The hardback received a fantastic reception, in terms of reviews, sales, and awards, and I'm deeply appreciative. Of course, it's tempting to say, 'If it ain't broke, why fix it?' but the fact is that I want all of my books to be the best they can possibly be - it is never possible to achieve perfection, but there's no harm in striving for it. 

This is what David says about the book in the press release: '‘For an author as prolific as Martin Edwards, it can be hard to identify their magnum opus. The Life of Crime, however, is an extraordinary feat of both scholarship and readability, the culmination of a lifetime devotion to studying the genre, and was deservedly selected in the books of the year by publications as widespread as the New York Times and the Spectator. The Times rightly described Martin as “the closest thing there has been to a philosopher of crime writing”, and I’ve no doubt that this is indeed a genuine magnum opus – and now will be even more magnum in paperback!’

And there is more news. HarperCollins have commissioned me to write a new edition of The Golden Age of Murder to celebrate the tenth anniversary of the book's publication next year. This is another book that means a great deal to me, and I'm looking forward to developing it further - again, mainly by way of including more material about the Detection Club and the Golden Age of detective fiction between the wars. So if there's anything relevant to the existing book that you think could usefully be developed in the new edition, feel free to let me know, so that I can take feedback into account before starting work...

7 comments:

Liz Gilbey said...

Oh, now that is BIG news all round! I couldn't do without either book, which are both a total joy and a terrible distraction from real life. Ever thought - as both are so definitive, and so acclaimed and so popular - that you might end up doing regular updates of both? (Now look at what you've started!!)

Many congratulations.

Will have to go away and have a think now.....

marmee said...

Congratulations!!

Martin Edwards said...

Liz, Marmee, thanks very much! Liz, that's an interesting if scary thought!!

Liz Gilbey said...

Having had a little think, I think I would like to put my hand up for Iain Mackintosh. He was best known for his TV spy series Sandbaggers (considered the most perfect spy tv series ever written; I still love it to bits) but also wrote thrillers, comedy or more light hearted crime series, and trailblazing drama such as Warship. He was a hero of mine at a very impressive period of my life, and of course the mystery of his life and career, his awards and his disappearance - I have always refused to say death for many reasons - have never been revealed or solved. The book about him is not much good, but the definitive website about Sandbaggers (Ops Room) which itself offered proofs and asked so many questions, seems to have disappeared....another real life mystery surrounding the man. (I did a profile on Mackintosh for CADS, but can't recall which issue, sorry) Am aware he may be a bit over the genre edge, but if so, never mind.

CLM said...

I own The Golden Age of Murder and would like to get it signed some time when you are in the US!

Martin Edwards said...

Liz, very interesting. I shall look into Mr Mackintosh!

Martin Edwards said...

Thanks, CLM. I shall be at the Nashville Bouchercon in September, so if you're there, perfect!