Wednesday 15 May 2024

An E.C.R. Lorac exhibition

 


Not so long ago, the name of E.C.R. Lorac was unknown to most present day crime fans. Lorac, whose real name was Carol Rivett, and who also wrote prolifically as Carol Carnac, slipped into literary obscurity not long after her death in 1958. That's the way it was for almost all authors. Once a book was out of print, that was it. You were history. But things have changed, and I'm delighted that Bolton-le-Sands Library in Lancashire, close to Aughton where Lorac lived in her later years, is currently holding an exhibition dedicated to the woman and her work.

I find this really rather exciting, even if I have to pinch myself to believe it's actually happening. I was introduced to Lorac by my parents, who were fascinated by the Lunesdale books - my grandmother lived in Morecambe, not far away, for many years and that was the first place I ever went to on holiday. I used to pick up second hand Loracs for my parents whenever I saw them. As a result they have finally come back to me, although since she was so prolific, there are quite a few I haven't read (and quite a few I've never seen - some titles are very scarce indeed).

My attempts to bring Lorac back into public view have been greatly aided by Lena Whiteley and her family, who still live in the area. Lena knew Lorac when she was young and really liked her. Thanks to their kindness and enthusiasm, I've explored the area with greater understanding. 

I don't know precise figures, but I believe that the Lorac books are the most popular in the entire British Library Crime Classics series these days. We even managed to publish the hitherto unpublished Two-Way Murder, which was a great joy.  And as a result a large number of people around the world are getting acquainted with a writer whom my parents really enjoyed writing. Very satisfying. And there are more Loracs to come...

8 comments:

marmee said...

good news about more e c r loracs!! At present my favourite is The theft of the iron dogs. Got to say, Crossed skis by her Carol Carnac incarnation comes a close second!

Martin Edwards said...

Thanks, Marmee. Those are definitely two good ones!

Christina Koning said...

I read my first E C R Lorac mystery ('Bats in the Belfry') after reading your introduction -- and haven't looked back! I think I've read all seventeen (?) titles currently available in the British Library series. Favourites include Murder by Matchlight, Death of an Author and of course Two-Way Murder, although Murderer's Mistake is also great -- not least for the setting. The exhibition sounds wonderful. What a treat for fans of 'Carol'...

Anonymous said...

Definitely looking forward to more Loracs! Maybe some of the rare, impossible to buy, early / mid period titles…? The London / war titles are my favourites, but I’ve very much enjoyed getting to know Lunesdale also.

Thanks so much for all your hard work, Martin, in bringing her books back into the public consciousness!

CG

Martin Edwards said...

Thanks, Christina. I'm hoping to see the exhibition myself if I can fit it in. It sounds lovely.

Martin Edwards said...

Thanks, CG. I've just read a Carol Carnac that I enjoyed and I hope it may find its way back into print. I take your point about earlier rarities, though!

Anonymous said...

By the way, I just stumbled across the Rivett-Carnac family via a book written by one of the 19th century members - inspiration for the Carol Carnac pen name?

Apologies if this is old news to everyone else!

CG

Martin Edwards said...

Thanks, CG. I don't know of anyone who has been able to establish a family connection, but it's quite a coincidence if there isn't one.