Friday 26 July 2024

Forgotten Book - Advisory Service


A hugely pleasurable dividend of posting on this blog is the fascinating correspondence I receive from readers. Recently I've been delighted to correspond with - and chat on the phone with - Betty Telford, who first got in touch with me some years ago, when commenting on a blog post about Martin Russell. Betty knew Martin, a fellow journalist, well, and I've learned more about him from her than from anyone. I am very grateful to all of you who comment and get in touch and I hope you will feel encouraged to continue to do so. Speaking to Betty has further increased my interest in Martin Russell's writing and I've just read one of his early novels of psychological suspense, Advisory Service, which dates from 1971.

Like a number of Russell's books, this one gains immediacy in part because the story is told in the first person and in part because he was good at writing snappy dialogue which moved the story along at a good pace. A middle-class couple, Eddie and Pearl Mills, who live in Hampstead with their nine year old daughter Lorna seem to have a very pleasant life. But beneath the surface, all is not well.

They receive some concerning anonymous telephone calls (the details of the landline calls are one of the things that differentiates this storyline from anything that could be written today, in the age of the smartphone). Then the pressure on them escalates as they receive anonymous letters from a so-called 'Advisory Service'. And then the unthinkable happens...

This is, as usual with Russell, a tense story and an easy, pacy read. I must say, however, that there were various elements of the story that tested my ability to suspend disbelief. To say more than that would be a spoiler, but (despite an unusual, cliff-hanger ending) I wasn't really convinced. Yet even though it's not one of his stronger books, in my opinion, I was still keen to keep turning the pages, and that was Martin Russell's great strength and the reason why he enjoyed quite a successful career for the best part of thirty years. 

No comments: