Friday 2 December 2011

Forgotten Book - The Players and the Game


I first read Julian Symons’ 1972  novel The Players and the Game as a break from A Level exams revision shortly after it first appeared. I was a huge Symons fan then – as I still am – and I really enjoyed the book. A welcome distraction which did me a lot of good at the time, despite its grim subject matter. So I wondered how well it would stand up to re-reading.

The answer was – extremely well. I now knew the trick solution, but this time had the chance to admire how Symons concealed it from the reader. This is a book influenced by true crimes – notably the Moors Murders – where two people combine to wreak homicidal mayhem. I’m one of the many who have more recently written such a story, but few of us have matched Symons’ skill.

The book opens with an extract from a journal written by a mentally disturbed man who confuses himself with Count Dracula/Bela Lugosi, and meets a woman who sees herself as Bonnie Parker. The action then switches to a husband and wife buying a house; Paul Vane is a personnel manager who is moving to be nearer his work, but the  move proves to have disastrous consequences.

Two young women go missing. One eventually turns up, but it soon becomes apparent that a serial killer (or, rather, two serial killers) are on the loose. Symons shifts viewpoint rapidly, introducing a good many characters, but he sketches them with great clarity. Which man and which woman form the killer couple?

It’s a really ingenious story, as clever as most Golden Age efforts, but it’s worn really well, with only a couple of aspects that seem dated. Symons explores the way that people wear masks to conceal their identities, and also provides a bleak picture of a man, Paul Vane, whose life falls apart. This is a really excellent mystery, much shorter than most present day serial killer stories and the better for it. I can’t understand why it isn’t more widely known. 


4 comments:

Ed Gorman said...

I read this when it first appeared in the U.S. I've read it a few times since. A masterful work.

Gerard Saylor said...

Great review.

Minnie said...

Excellent review, Martin - and a great prompt to have another look at the late JS. Always loved his intricate plotting and extraordinary insight into the murkier aspects of personality.
Apologies for going O/T: but hope you're continuing to enjoy 'The Killing/Forbrydelsen 2'. It is so different from the first series as to make any comparison redundant; but it is equally thrilling! FWIW, I reckon there is more than one killer, both military/ex-military - and we have already met them. Don't share your earlier suspicion abt the Colonel, tho'.

Mediations said...

Thanks for this, Martin. I have just finished reading Players as part of a self-imposed challenge to read 19 books first published in 1972 (http://publicsphere.typepad.com/toberead/2012/01/1972-the-players-and-the-game-by-julian-symons.html). One mystery that was beyond me was the cover of my Penguin edition - I can't see any connection with the story!