Monday 23 October 2023

All the Lonely People - in Spain and elsewhere...


All the Lonely People
is a book that has a special place in my affections, as its appearance way back in 1991 marked the fulfilment of a lifelong ambition to become a published crime novelist. And now, 32 years later, the novel is due to appear in a Spanish translation, published by Who Editorial. I've written a new intro for this edition.

I always hoped that my novels would have staying power, and this book has done very well for me over the years, starting with reviews in The Times and elsewhere and a nomination for the CWA award for best first crime novel. There were, if I remember rightly, seven nominees and the ultimate winner was Walter Mosley's Devil in a Blue Dress - not bad company to be in. In the UK alone, it's been published over the years by Piatkus, Transworld, Hodder, Andrews/Acorn, and Arcturus, so it's certainly had longevity.

Of course, one's writing changes (and, with any luck, improves) over the years, and there's no doubt that if I were writing the story today I'd write it a bit differently. But I like to think that in some ways ahead of its time, both in its focus on minority characters and on Golden Age plotting and references. Not that these features attracted any attention back in the 1990s! One thing that gratified me enormously a while back was when a school librarian told me that the book had become very popular at the school. Given that the pupils were born many years after the book was written, I felt this said something about the story. It's a young man's book, and imperfect, but I remain very glad I wrote it. 

So my sincere thanks go to the Who team for showing faith in Harry Devlin's relevance to their readers in the 21st century. In case you're wondering, the English language edition of the book (see the cover image below) is very much available in print or as an ebook And in answer to a question I'm often asked - will Harry ever return? My answer is - you never know!



4 comments:

Liz Gilbey said...

I cannot believe it is so long since I got that book....but another case of lending out and never getting it back! Loved it then, and still. The title was great - but had NO influence on calling my daughter Eleanor! (Just so you know! ;D )

Anonymous said...

This was the first book of yours that I read, Martin, as a new law student at Liverpool University in the mid-1990s. I'm sure it is entirely coincidental that I subsequently decided to practise commercial law and never saw the inside of a police station in anger! For those who haven't yet read the book, it's currently available on Amazon in ebook format at a bargain price of £2.49. Martyn

Martin Edwards said...

Thanks, Liz!

Martin Edwards said...

Hi Martyn - well, I never saw the inside of a police station in anger either, and I reckon it's for the best for both of us! And thanks for mentioning the Amazon price!!