Monday 13 November 2023

The last live events of 2023



I've been involved in some wonderful crime writing events throughout 2023 and my last two 'live' events of the year were certainly very enjoyable. The first of these was an interview (by Matt Dolman) at Bromley House Library (above) in the delightfully named Angel Row in the heart of Nottingham. I'm fascinated by private libraries such as Gladstone's Library and the Lit and Phil in Newcastle and Bromley House also has a fantastic atmosphere. I visited it a few years ago when someone showed me round and I was delighted to return on this occasion. The interview was very well attended and there was also an online component, which was nice.


On Saturday, I was the guest of the PBFA (Provincial Booksellers' Fairs Association) as the wonderful Detective Fiction fair at Harrogate's Yorkshire Pavilions (the above photo), which is held every two years. I've visited this particular fair on many occasions, so it was a special treat to be invited as a guest by Louise Harrison and Jeremiah Vokes. What I really didn't expect was to be so busy all day - so much so that I hardly got a chance to study the offerings at the various stalls.

I had many fascinating conversations, with old friends as well as with new acquaintances with, pleasingly, a very wide age range. It was a particular treat to meet Terry Hale and his wife. Great French Detective Stories, an anthology edited by T. J. Hale, was published forty years ago and I've long admired it. Terry is now fascinated by Japanese crime films and he gave me a lot of info about these that I look forward to following up.

Book fairs and the book world fascinate me. I very much enjoyed setting The Traitor in that world and I've been working on another literary project in this area of late. What will come of it, who knows? But Saturday was a marvellous day that will linger in my memory, as will so many pleasant moments from the past twelve months at places as diverse as San Diego and Shetland. 




No comments: