Monday 25 March 2024

Making an Exhibition of...All the Lonely People

When I walked into Cambridge University Library's new 'Murder by the Book' exhibition for a preview last Thursday evening, I didn't expect to have one of the most gratifying experiences a crime novelist could possibly hope for, but so it proved. I was greeted by the sight of my very first novel, All the Lonely People, included in a selection of 100 landmark titles in 20th century British crime writing, in a display case alongside the likes of Dorothy L. Sayers' Murder Must Advertise, Cyril Hare's Tragedy at Law, Nicholas Blakes' The Beast Must Die, and Celia Fremlin's The Hours Before Dawn. Blimey! A truly memorable moment. 




This wow-factor experience was enhanced when I later discovered that the photo at the top of this post has accompanied various news stories about the exhibition here and overseas. Moments like this really do make all the challenges that accompany any writer's career from time to time seem utterly worthwhile. Seeing the book in such exalted company was something I could never have imagined when I first wrote it.  


I was also pleased to see copies of my anthology Murder by the Book and also Howdunit on sale by the door to the exhibition, but that was only the start of a very good evening, studying a cleverly conceived and fascinating exhibition. Nicola Upson who has curated the exhibition, gave an excellent speech and I was also glad to catch up with a number of friends including Ayo Onatade, Christina Koning and Richard Reynolds. The exhibition runs for three months and features amongst other delights Agatha Christie's typewriter and dictaphone, as well as the manuscript for Curtain. I was especially fascinated by the correspondence relating to P.D. James's first novel. It goes without saying that I strongly recommend Murder by the Book!




This made a wonderful start to a short but exhilarating trip to the East Midlands. Madingley Hall, which I discovered eighteen months ago when invited to give a lecture there by Sophie Hannah, was an excellent base: it's a study centre but also a delightful hotel. Friday was spent on my first ever visit to Rutland, England's smallest country, in the company of local resident David Whittle, Edmund Crispin's biographer. Luckily the weather stayed fine and we started with a lovely walk at Rutland Water - I was intrigued by Normanton Church, which was preserved when this massive lake/reservoir was created. Then came lunch at Uppingham, a busy little market town (and site of the school attended by E.W. Hornung, creator of Raffles) and a visit to Oakham, including the fascinating and truly ancient hall that is Oakham. Finally, a look at Welland Viaduct, which is much less well-known that the Ribblehead Viaduct, but even longer.





Saturday was devoted to a visit to ace book collector Clint Stacey and his family in Stamford. Clint has a great fund of knowledge about classic crime fiction and his collection is quite wonderful. I really enjoy seeing other people's book collections and this was a great way to round off a brief visit to a lovely part of the world. Here is a rare R.T. Campbell/Ruthven Todd signature and a nice inscription from George Hardinge (aka author George Milner) to Anthony Berkeley:







8 comments:

marmee said...

What an extraordinary moment for you!!

Martin Edwards said...

Absolutely! Not even I could have made it up!

Liz Gilbey said...

As I have said before - it could not happen to a better person and author - even if it felt rather surreal. Good for you - as well as being in perfect company, on the page and in person. A real red letter day.
And thank you taking me back home with your tour of Rutland. There is so much to discover in Rutland. The county museum is magnificent, and church crawling there is a total delight. And, btw, did you notice that in Rutland horseshoes are hung the other way up? A long story!

Anonymous said...

I'm only up the road in Ely, Martin, but you still managed to get to the exhibition before me! Looking forward to going though some time over Easter. It looks fantastic. Martyn

Martin Edwards said...

Thanks, Liz. I was really impressed with Rutland - I've wanted to go there for ages but just never got round to it.

Martin Edwards said...

Thanks, Martyn. I feel sure you'll enjoy it.

Deborah said...

Thanks to your post on fb I discovered your blog. Marvelous sites. Thanks for the photos. Never been there yet. I’m thrilled for you to have such an honor to have your novel and anthology displayed with pride and sold. Congratulations!!

Martin Edwards said...

Thanks very much, Deborah. Yes, it was rather wonderful to see it there. And my original publisher and editor have commented on FB - such fun, after all these years!