Friday, 24 July 2026

Forgotten Book - The Singing Masons

 


A few years ago, I had the chance to pick up, at a very modest price, an inscribed copy of a novel called The Singing Masons, written by Francis Vivian. I didn't know much about Vivian or his work, but the inscription featured both his pen-name and his real name, Ernest (in fact, his full name was Arthur Ernest Ashley), so I snapped it up. However, I didn't manage to get round to reading it and it slipped slowly down my TBR pile. These things happen.

It leapt back up that pile when I was invited to give a talk about Francis Vivian by Nottinghamshire Libraries, for whom I've done quite a number of events over the years. The idea was to give the talk at Retford Library, where I've spoken before, since Ashley came from that neck of the woods. So my first step was to read The Singing Masons! I didn't know how good it would be, though the fact that the book was published by Hodder, in 1950, I found quite encouraging.

This is an enjoyable book, featuring a likeable Scotland Yard man called Knollis, a series character who works hand in hand with the local inspector, Wilson. The investigative style is faintly reminiscent of Freeman Wills Crofts, but we get a reference to the film version of Chandler's The Lady in the Lake, as well as mention of Poe's Dupin. And the epigraph is a highly relevant quotation from Henry V.

There's a useful map at the start of the book, which I should have studied more closely (though I did figure out whodunit by other means). The story opens with a veteran bee-keeper called Heatherington recounting a lengthy and rather rambling story about the discovery of a corpse. It seems as though the weight of detail is excessive, but in fact Vivian cunningly conveys some very important information in the first chapter.

An unpleasant philanderer and chancer called Batley has been murdered, and suspicion shifts around a small group of suspects. There is a lot of discussion about bees and their habits and care - Vivian himself was a keen bee-keeper - and although the story slows down after a bright start, it is well-written and well-constructed. And it sounds glib to say that there is a sting in the tail at the end of the novel, but it's true. The finale is unexpectedly dark and quite memorable. All in all, I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of this novel, and I'm very glad I bought it.


  

No comments: