Friday 8 August 2008

Short stories again

Sarah Hilary was good enough to send me a copy of the Fish Anthology 2008, Harlem River Blues and other stories, in which a couple of her own short pieces appear; they have the very different, yet equally fascinating, settings of Lizzie Borden’s home town, and Eyam, the Derbyshire plague village. I’ve never been to Fall River, but I do know Eyam, and it’s a fascinating spot in one of England’s most under-rated counties.

As well as Sarah’s entries, there are plenty of other enjoyable things in this book, which brings together a wide range of talented writers; the choices were made by a panel of judges, including Philip Gooden, a recent former Chairman of the Crime Writers’ Association.

This week I’ve been asked to do a couple of radio interviews this week on the subject of short stories – Radio Merseyside on Wednesday, GMR (Manchester) today. On Wednesday I talked in particular about the short story competition which my firm is sponsoring – the theme of the stories is ‘justice’ – to celebrate Liverpool’s European Capital of Culture Year. For anyone interested in submitting, the final date for entries is 31 August.

Chris High has kindly provided this link to the interview:
Radio Interview

Finally, this is (can’t quite believe it but Blogger stats never lie – or do they?) my 300th blog post. Thanks to everyone who has commented or encouraged me to keep going. Much appreciated.

3 comments:

Sarah Hilary said...

Happy 300th Blog, Martin! I'm glad you're enjoying the Fish Anthology.

Juliet said...

Congratulations on your 300th post! Sorry I'm late - I've been rather out of the blogosphere with pressures of work and school hols this last couple of weeks. An interesting post (of sensible length) every single day - how do you do it???

Martin Edwards said...

Thanks, both of you!