Saturday 3 July 2010

1000 Not Out


I squeezed in a couple of blog posts yesterday, which took my overall tally of posts since I started ‘Do You Write Under Your Own Name?’ to one thousand. Suffice to say that, when I began the project, I never dreamed I would get this far, let alone so (relatively) soon.

It’s been a thoroughly enjoyable experience for me and, all being well, I don’t plan to stop in the forseeable future. I do want to say how very much I appreciate the responses that I receive. Your comments often provoke much thought as far as I’m concerned, and I do hope you will keep them coming, along with the many fascinating snippets of information that you provide.

And it has been an absolute delight to meet in person a number of fellow bloggers and blog readers over the past two and a half years. There are many others of you that I guess, unfortunately, I’m unlikely ever to meet, but who knows?

Recently I was startled to discover that this blog was listed number 5 in the ‘top 10 UK literature blogs’ by Cision. Quite gratifying, but much more gratifying is the sense of being in touch with people all over the world who are united by a shared love of the crime genre

12 comments:

Kerrie said...

well done Martin. I find blogging quite cathartic

Anonymous said...

Martin - Well-done on 1000 posts!!! May there be many more.

seana graham said...

Congratulations, Martin. Not only are your blog posts informative, but you are a most gracious host and moderator. I hope you'll keep going for some time to come!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Martin especially as your interesting posts are so frequent. I'm glad I found your blog recently.

Uriah Robinson said...

Congratulations on your 1,000th I made mine a few days ago. It had taken me almost four years!

Jose Ignacio Escribano said...

Well done and congratulations, Martin.

Paul Beech said...

Hi Martin, and congratulations on your 1000th blog post! I don’t know how you manage to keep it up day after day along with your professional and creative work, but I’m jolly glad you do!

‘Do you write under your own name?’ is a terrific blog and easily the one I get most out of so far as crime fiction is concerned. You write not only very knowledgably but with infectious enthusiasm in a most engaging style. There are brilliant crime writers such as Ann Cleeves and Robert Barnard I might not have read but for your blog, TV crime dramas such as George Gently I might not have watched. Besides which, it’s great to have a ringside seat on your own writing and related activities, as well as an opportunity to participate in discussions on writerly topics such as plotting, viewpoint characters, background, etc.

Interesting, isn’t it, how different blogs, in reflecting the persona, attitudes and interests of their authors, develop their own distinct online communities of like-minded followers? It’s good when you find a blog where you feel at home, or at least amongst friends, and yours is certainly the crime writing blog I feel most comfortable commenting on. It’s tremendous that you take the trouble to respond to our comments. On your blog I believe we have cyber-conversation at its best.

And whatever the highlights of your next thousand posts, I shall be following!

Regards, Paul

Martin Edwards said...

I do very much appreciate your comments, and as ever, your generosity. Thank you.

Fiona said...

Congratulations - and thank you for the pleasure your blog gives! I have no idea how I discovered it last October but I spent a whole weekend reading every entry and have made it my priority every day since. Naturally this led me to your books which have become great favourites, and then through your recommendation I found Anne Cleeves to be very much to my taste...and so it goes on. Having found in the recent past too many modern writers whose style definitely wasn't to my taste (I can't take gratuitous violence and graphic descriptions of things best unseen) it's been a relief to know I don't have to stick only with Golden Age crime writers.

The only things you haven't (yet) converted me to are TV and films, but if you try hard enough who knows what I might 'discover'.

Dorte H said...

Congratulations, Martin!

And it is certainly also an enjoyable pleasure to read your blog. Small wonder it is rated highly.

Randy Johnson said...

Congrats on a thousand. Still a couple of hundred away myself. Look forward to the next thousand.

Juliet said...

Congratulations!!! So glad you took the plunge 1,000 posts ago, and that, unlike some of us lesser mortals, you have sustained the frequency, quality and interest of your blogging so brilliantly. Don't know how you do it!