Monday 26 July 2010

Harrogate


I’ve attended the Theakston’s Old Peculier Crime Writing Festival at Harrogate since its early days, and it’s invariably an entertaining event, enhanced by the fact that Harrogate in July is a very pleasant place to be. This year, unfortunately, I wasn’t able to arrive there until Saturday lunch-time, but despite that I had a thoroughly enjoyable time.

One of the great things about crime conventions is the chance they offer both to catch up with old friends and to make new ones; also, I tend to find, there may be one or two people whom one has bumped into briefly for years, but whom one manages to get to know rather better, and that’s always rewarding. I enjoyed lunch with a few friends from the CWA’s Northern Chapter, and during the day I came across Alanna Knight, a prolific Scottish crime writer who with her late husband Alistair was a stalwart of many CWA events. I’ve not seen her for two or three years and it was good to see her in fine form. I don’t think I’ve mentioned her work on this blog before, an omission I ought to repair. Her historical mysteries are well worth a look.

Needless to say, the Saturday night quiz was a highlight. I joined up with a team which rejoiced in the name of the BP Complaints Department. It included Zoe Sharp, and her husband Andy, Russell from Waterstones, Chris Ewan and L.C. Tyler. Some of the questions were really tough – a round on the subject of writers’ dogs had me baffled, for instance – but we did manage to come second. A real team effort, and very good company. Seeing Len Tyler was a bonus, as I’m reading his latest book at the moment, and he kindly inscribed it for me. A review will appear here in due course.

Among other nice things, Janet O’Kane, whom I’d previously only encountered via the blogosphere, came over to say hello. I hope that readers of blogs who encounter blog writers at conventions and other events will, equally, not be too bashful to introduce themselves. I’m sure that other writers, just like me, really value these personal contacts.

12 comments:

Kiwicraig said...

Glad to hear you had a great time Martin. I've heard consistently good things from people who were there (like in previous years). Hopefully one year I will get myself to one, all the way from New Zealand...

Len Tyler said...

Martin, it was really good to meet up with you again. Modesty clearly prevents you from mentioning that, of the 41 points scored by our team, roughly 35 were down to you. I am however still touchingly pleased to have successfully identified Reginald Hill's dog - an advantage sadly cancelled out a few moments later when I confidently asserted that The Postern of Fate was Agatha Christie's last novel.

Hope you enjoy the book!

Fiona said...

That does sound like fun - pleased to hear you enjoyed yourself! Because of your comments about other crime conventions I've booked tickets for three events at the Reading crime fest in September (it's an easy bus ride for me). I shall be able to see/hopefully meet two of my favourites, Ann Granger and Anne Cleeves, and am looking forward to it very much.

When I first found mention of the festival on the internet I wasn't sure if it was 'reading' as in what you do with a book, or 'Reading in Berkshire'. I was very pleased to find it was the latter :)

Janet O'Kane said...

It was great to meet you, Martin, and get introduced to Len Tyler. If his books are half as entertaining as his website I'm in for a treat as a friend recently gave me The Herring Seller's Apprentice.
Being so caught up in the excitement of things I failed to mention how much I'd enjoyed your latest, which I read after discovering your blog.
I'll certainly consider visiting CrimeFest next year, on your recommendation.

Dorte H said...

I would have loved to participate, but my husband has made a half-promise that we can go to CrimeFest in Bristol next year as my birthday present. And don´t worry, I will certainly not be too bashful to introduce myself - or my generous husband :D

Lovely post, though I had hoped for some of your wonderful pictures to go along with it. You see, I am supposed to research Yorkshire, but if I can persuade someone else to do the hard work, I will have more time to write the story ;D
As my setting is ´Knavesborough´, ´Havergate´ is the nearest town, of course.

crimeficreader said...

Many congrats to you & your team on coming second!
Great to see you again, Martin. I was only there from Saturday lunchtime & it's a shame we didn't have the chance of a longer chat.
The dog round was surely unfair...

Martin Edwards said...

Craig, you would enjoy it. And think also about Crimefest, which is great.

Martin Edwards said...

Len, you are too generous! The book - so far, massively entertaining, I must say.

Martin Edwards said...

Fiona, both Anns are lovely. I haven't said much about Ann Granger (yet) on this blog, but I will get round to her before long. A nice writer.

Martin Edwards said...

Janet, delighted you liked The Serpent Pool. I'm sure you would enjoy Crimefest.

Martin Edwards said...

Dorte - I forgot my camera! But I look forward to meeting you both in Bristol.

Martin Edwards said...

Rhian, yes, shame we only managed to say hello en passant. Next year!