Thursday 15 August 2019

Marlborough Court publishing - guest blog


Writers, including me, often joke about our relationships with publishers, but the truth is that there are some great publishers out there, large and small. I've been lucky enough to work with quite a lot of very good ones in a number of different countries, and I know that their task in getting books to readers isn't as easy as it may look. So when I was approached by a new kid on the block, a small firm trying to make its way, I was sympathetic, and invited Peter Tong to contribute a blog post describing his venture:

"I’ve had an eventful writing life with radio & TV comedies and thrillers, stage plays, screenplays and novels. But I can’t sit at the desk for too long and have to get my hands dirty. I have run a film production company and co ran a theatre, producing my own work into the bargain. I have also been fascinated by books and how they are put together, the jacket design, text fonts, page layout etc. With like-minded colleagues I have started a small publishing house, Marlborough Court. Although publishing is a tough game to play, with passion and smart thinking it can be won.

For instance, in order to stand out, we have aimed at on-the-go readers publishing small format Pocket Paperbacks and classy hardback Pocket Specials, along with humorous posters. We have a bold company statement: Marlborough Court: Something good to read. We use Clays, a printer who encourages small publishers like ourselves. They have given us a special deal with the book wholesalers who sell to Waterstones and the other bookshops. It’s hard work but it’s fulfilling when you know you are giving people lasting pleasure.

 Our latest offering is The Missing Mr Moonstone, the first in an upbeat Victorian crime series in which Sherlock Holmes’ landlady and her maid take over his work following his presumed death; the public at first not knowing he is dead and continue to call at 221b Baker Street for his help. The Ladies then gain a reputation for dependable detecting – despite being only women in a male dominated society!

I will be delighted to have a signed advanced review copy sent to any blog reader who would like to write an honest personal review for us." 

If you'd like to take advantage of this offer, drop Peter an email: marlborough.court.publishing@gmail.com




No comments: