Monday 16 August 2010

Back from the Baltic


I’ve finally made it back from a truly enjoyable holiday cruising around the capitals of the Baltic. It’s been a period of relaxation and, to some extent, recuperation, and now it’s time to start catching up on the real world. My thanks in particular to those who commented on posts in my absence, and my apologies for not being better at publishing and responding to them – it proved trickier than expected to remain in contact via the internet for someone as technologically challenged as I am, and in the end I gave up and just enjoyed the sunshine.

The great thing was that I had a chance to think out the final part of my current novel in progress, as well as coming up with some ideas for future stories – short and long. I can’t imagine any better way for a writer to recharge the batteries than to get away for it all for a few days, and allow imagination, rather than technology, to take charge. I visited some fascinating places and the research I did will, I’m sure, be very useful. One of the most agreeable holidays I ever had, to Venice, resulted in ‘The Bookbinder’s Apprentice’, my most successful short story, so it would be nice if something similar were to result from this trip.

I’ve also done plenty of reading – even though I’ve not really made much of a dent in that massive to be read pile. The books I’ve devoured will be featured in this blog over the coming days. Suffice to say at this stage that the new Kate Atkinson is hugely entertaining, and the best book I’ve read in a while.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Martin - Good to hear you had a great holiday, and I'm glad you're back safely. I look forward to your book reviews and of course, to the next of your own books.

Fiona said...

Welcome back Martin - I don't wish to sound ungrateful for the work you put into storing blog entries to be published during your absence, but I have missed the immediacy of your responss!

Unknown said...

Question for you, I've read Cipher Garden and Serpent Pool. Is it the third or fourth book you're on now? Either way, can't wait until it comes out.

CD

Dorte H said...

I am sure the internet has come to stay, and it is good to have you back, but after a weekend without an internet connection I have just seen how much extra time it gives you.

And though I enjoy your blog, I love your novels even more!

Martin Edwards said...

Thanks very much. It's good to be back, but it was also very good to be away!

Clarissa, thanks. I am now on book five. The Coffin Trail is the first, The Arsenic Labyrinth the third.