Sunday 11 December 2011

Blogs

Jessica Mann is a writer of very interesting novels, some of which I’ve mentioned in the past. She’s also a critic and commentator, with a very good full-length study of female crime writers, Deadlier Than the Male, to her name.

Jessica has now started a blog with discussions about “pre-feminism for post-feminists”, a topic that really is much more fascinating than that tag-line may suggest. You could argue that feminist issues are at the heart of much of Jessica’s fiction, but her novels are certainly not didactic, and any points she wants to make don’t get in the way of the story.

The blog anticipates the appearance next spring of her latest non-fiction book, The Fifties Mystique, which evidently talks about some issues of concern to feminists. But whether or not one labels oneself as feminist, I’d expect it to be a very interesting piece of work. As a male reader who enjoys many books written by women and featuring female characters, I’m looking forward to it.

On the subject of blogs, you’ll have gathered that I’ve been having continuing problems with the new version of Blogger. My apologies – and thanks for your patience. My webmaster is now back to help me get things sorted out - hence the new layout. There are still some issues to iron out, but I hope that both the blog and my website will be looking better and more up to date before Christmas.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Martin - Thanks for the news about Jessica's blog. And I know all about blog problems. It's why I switched to Wordpress, and wouldn't go back. I wish you well getting everything settled with your own excellent blog.

Dorte H said...

Very cool new lay-out!

J F Norris said...

Looks like a template face lift. Very seasonally attractive!

Martin Edwards said...

Thanks very much, Margot, Dorte, and John. I hope the vagaries of the recent posts haven't been too vexing. Should start getting better now, though I've advance scheduled a few posts that may prove a bit iffy!!

mondal said...

I switched to Wordpress, and wouldn't go back. I wish you well getting everything settled with your own excellent blog.

British Food