Tuesday 9 July 2024

Celtic Travels



I'm back home from trips to Ireland (North and the Republic) and then Wales, a thoroughly enjoyable break. I sent off the latest chunk of my work-in-progress to my editor the day before I set off, so at least my literary conscience was clear for the time being - and,as often happens (luckily!) the change of scene helped me while I was thinking out another project...




I've long had an ambition to visit the Giant's Causeway and main purpose of the Irish trip was to fulfil that desire. The Causeway is a fascinating location and - despite a bit of drizzle - it definitely lived up to expectations. We were based in Letterkenny, which has a nice cathedral and a good little museum, while our visits to other places included Donegal (with a boat trip on the lough and sightings of seals and seal pups, plus a pleasing castle and a ruined abbey on the shore), Malin Head, the most northerly part of Ireland, Glenveagh National Park, and the walled city of Derry (where I took a walk along the Peace Bridge - very thought-provoking). It was great to spend a few days in so many evocative places and I found a number of fresh story inspirations.





One place that made a real impression on me was the 'famine village' on the Doagh peninsula. During the potato famine, my great-grandfather fled to England with his family and the story of the horrors that the starving people endured therefore had a special resonance for me. It also made me wonder if now is the time for me to do a bit of research into that side of my family. 








No sooner were we back from Ireland than it was off to North Wales for a couple of days, to celebrate my birthday. Even when I was working full-time in the law, I liked to take at least a day off to go on a trip on my birthday and over the years I've been incredibly lucky with the weather. There was a chance to revisit old haunts in Llandudno, Conwy, and Colwyn Bay, but also to discover a few new places in the area. A real highlight was a boat trip around Llandudno Bay - great fun.  













4 comments:

John Martin said...

Hi Martin,
Great pictures. We were also in that part of Ireland recently and visited many of the same places - I was very moved by the Peace Bridge in Derry, and in awe at the Giant's Causeway. I hope, like me, you enjoyed the odd pint of Guinness.

Martin Edwards said...

Thanks, John. And yes, a few pints were quaffed!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing, Martin Edward's. I'm anxious to make it back to Ireland again.

Joni said...

Lovely photos! It was so windy the day we went to the Giant's Causeway that every photo with me in it has my hair flying into my face and around my head like giant horns... But it was a destination trip for me as well.