Wednesday 17 July 2024

Gwen Moffat - 100 Years Young



I was tipped off recently by my crime fiction loving friends Nigel Moss and Barry Pike that fellow northern crime writer Gwen Moffat was celebrating a very special birthday. Believe it or not, Gwen was 100 on July 3. I was away on holiday at the time but managed to send her a slightly belated congratulatory message - and received a very prompt and positive reply from the lady herself.

Gwen's greatest claim to fame is no doubt her pioneering work as a woman mountaineer and in 1961 she published a very well-received autobiography, The Space Beneath My Feet. She was also the first British female mountain guide. A few years ago, a film documentary which is well worth a watch supplied a fascinating picture of how Gwen's indomitable style had influenced and inspired younger women climbers.

In the 1970s she turned to writing crime fiction, and created a series character called Miss Pink who was - naturally! - a keen climber. I got to know her in the 1990s, when she came along to CWA northern chapter get-togethers. From the outset, she struck me as a formidable character - as you need to be, to do the things that Gwen has done in her life.

We met on many occasions over the years, but I haven't seen her in person for quite a while, so I was particularly pleased to hear from her again. Congratulations, Gwen, and many happy returns!



3 comments:

Kacper said...

Happy birthday, Gwen! I've enjoyed some of the Miss Pink novels over the years, this is a great opportunity to reacquaint myself.

Agatha said...

Thank you Martin. I'm reading the Miss Pink novels at the moment and enjoying them all over again.
Please pass on my thanks to Gwen Moffat for the enjoyment they gave first time round and are giving again.
Thank you for your blog, reviews and work on forgotten detective stories, reviews and your own books of course.
Jill

Martin Edwards said...

Kacper, Jill - thanks very much.