Sunday 2 August 2009

Grosse Pointe Blank


Grosse Pointe Blank is a movie that has attracted such positive reviews that I’ve been meaning to get round to watching it for years. Then again, the list of things that I’ve been meaning to get round to doing is alarmingly lengthy…however, I have finally managed to catch up with the film, and I’m very glad I did.

It’s a dark comedy about a professional killer called Martin Blank, played by John Cusack, whose client wants him to carry out a hit in his home town – the eponymous Grosse Pointe Blank, in Michigan. The contract coincides with the 10-year reunion of Martin’s old school, and he has the chance to meet up again with the lovely Deb (played by Minnie Driver) whom he deserted when he left town abruptly a decade earlier.

Matters are complicated by the fact that Martin has become increasingly troubled by his work. He’s seeking psychiatric support from an unwilling shrink (well played by Alan Arkin) and a variety of other killers are after his blood. They include Dan Aykroyd, who wants to establish a club of professional assassins, and who is miffed that Martin doesn’t want to join.

This is a really enjoyable movie, with some very funny lines and scenes. One of my favourite moments occurs when Martin is involved in a gun battle with one of the hitmen in a minimart. The shop assistant is so absorbed in a blood-and-thunder video game that he has no idea what is happening all around him.

3 comments:

Nan said...

It has been far too long since I've seen this movie; I'll rent it again soon. It really is good. I thought of you today because I posted a quote which I first read in an older (spring 2007) Old-Time Detection magazine which Arthur Vidro sent when I first subscribed. I thank you so much for drawing my attention to this little jewel. I keep every issue.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I live in Grosse Pointe and it is nothing like the movie-but I did enjoy it.

Martin Edwards said...

Hi Nan, I'm glad you like Arthur's mag - a real labour of love.
Patti - I didn't know you lived there. I gather the authorities refused permission for the movie to be filmed in the city!